|CHIEF MASTER SERGEANT JAMES A. CODY|
Chief Master Sergeant James A. Cody is the Command Chief Master Sergeant of Air Education and Training Command, Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph, Texas. The command includes the Air Force Recruiting Service, a numbered air force and Air University. AETC trains more than 293,000 students per year and consists of 12 bases, more than 67,900 active-duty, Reserve, Guard, civilians and contractors, and 1,369 trainer, fighter and mobility aircraft. Chief Cody advises AETC commanders, directors, and staff on the current and future training and educational methods used by the more than 600,000 total force Airmen. The chief is a key advisor to the command's corporate structure for budgeting, transformation, and execution of the AETC mission.
Chief Cody entered the Air Force in November 1984. The chief graduated from the air traffic control specialist course at Keesler Air Force Base, Miss., in May 1985. His background includes various duties in air traffic control at the unit and major command levels. Throughout his career, he has filled a myriad of additional duties ranging from First Sergeant to Directorate Superintendent. His assignments include bases in New Hampshire, California, Virginia and Florida. The chief also served overseas in Germany, Korea, Turkey, and deployed in support of Operations Southern Watch and Enduring Freedom.
Prior to assuming his current position, he served as the Command Chief Master Sergeant, 18th Air Force, Scott AFB, Ill.
1987 Noncommissioned Officer Preparatory School, Kapaun AS, Germany
1989 Air Force Communications Command Noncommissioned Officer Leadership School, Keesler AFB, Miss.
1993 Noncommissioned Officer Academy Correspondence Course
1995 USAFE Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Kapaun AS, Germany
1997 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy Correspondence Course
1998 Associate's Degree airway science, Community College of the Air Force
2001 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2005 Chief's Leadership Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2005 USAF Senior Leadership Course, Center for Creative Leadership, San Diego, Calif.
2006 Gettysburg Leadership Experience, Gettysburg, Pa.
2008 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education Correspondence Course
2008 AFSO 21 Executive Leadership Course, Disney Institute, Orlando, Fla.
2009 Keystone, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2010 COMAFFOR Senior Staff Course, USAF Expeditionary Center, N.J.
2010 USAF Enterprise Management Seminar, Darden School of Business, University of Virginia
1. November 1984 - January 1985, student, Basic Military Training, Lackland AFB, Texas
2. January 1985 - June 1985, student, Technical Training School, Keesler AFB, Miss.
3. June 1985 - June 1988, Air Traffic Controller, 1964th Communications Group, Ramstein AB, Germany
4. June 1988 - January 1991, ATC Watch Supervisor, 1916th Communications Squadron, Pease AFB, N.H.
5. January 1991 - May 1993, ATC Watch Supervisor, 30th Operational Support Squadron, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
6. May 1993 - May 1994, ATC Watch Supervisor, 51st OSS, Osan AB, Korea
7. June 1994 - June 1996, Superintendent, Airfield Operations Training, 39th OSS, Incirlik AB, Turkey
8. June 1996 - March 2000, Superintendent, Airfield Operations, Readiness/Training, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
9. March 2000 - May 2003, Chief Controller, Tower, 1st Sergeant, 6th OSS, MacDill AFB, Fla. (April 2002 - July 2002, Superintendent, Combat Airspace Management Cell, Joint Task Force-Southwest Asia, Prince Sultan Air Base, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia)
10. June 2003 - July 2005, Superintendent, Directorate of Air and Space Operations and ATC Functional Manager, HQ ACC, Langley AFB, Va.
11. July 2005 - August 2007, Command Chief, 15th Expeditionary Mobility Task Force, Travis AFB, Calif.
12. August 2007 - July 2008, Command Chief, 6th Air Mobility Wing, MacDill AFB, Fla.
13. July 2008 - September 2010, Command Chief, 18th Air Force, Scott AFB, Ill.
14. September 2010 - present, Command Chief, Headquarters Air Education and Training Command, Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph, Texas
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with silver and two bronze oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with silver oak leaf cluster
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with Valor and silver and two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award with two oak leaf clusters
Outstanding Airman of the Year Ribbon
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Southwest Asia Service Medal with bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Korean Defense Service Medal
Armed Forces Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
Air and Space Campaign Medal
1994 PACAF Operation Readiness Inspection Outstanding Performer
1994 39th Wing NCO of the Year
1995 John L. Levitow Award, NCO Academy
1995 USAFE ATC Training Achievement Award
1995 STEP promotion to Master Sergeant
1997 ACC Director of Air and Space Operations SNCO of the Year
2001 Distinguished Graduate, SNCO Academy
2001 AMC Air Traffic Control Enlisted Manager of the Year
2001 Tampa Bay Military Citizen of the Year
2001 Air Mobility Command SNCO of the Year
EFFECTIVE DATE OF PROMOTION
Chief Master Sergeant September 2003
(Current as of October 2012)