AETC   Right Corner Banner
Join the Air Force

Questions > FAQ Topic

How can I obtain copies of my military records?

Individual military departments, including the Air Force do not maintain files or records pertaining to individuals no longer on active duty. When an individual is separated from military service (because of retirement, discharge from active duty, or death), his/her Field Personnel File (containing all military and health records) is forwarded for storage to the National Personnel Records Center (Military). The Records Center is under the jurisdiction of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) of the United States Government. An individual's complete service record is available to the former service member or, if deceased, to his/her next of kin (parents, spouse, or children). Limited information (such as dates of service, awards, and training) is available to anyone. Not available to the general public is information which would invade an individual's privacy; for example, medical records, Social Security number, or present address. If requesting the records of a relative, a requester should mention the relationship to the former member (brother, uncle, or other). There is no charge for this service to former service members or their next of kin. For others, a nominal fee is charged for research and reproduction costs. Files at the Records Center are maintained as historical records only and are not updated to reflect current data on the former service member. The address for the National Personnel Records Center is:

National Personnel Records Center
1 Archives Drive
St. Louis, MO 63138
Phone: (314) 801-0800
Fax: (314) 801-9195

For individuals compiling family histories, NARA provides assistance to those interested in genealogy. NARA normally charges a nominal fee for research and reproduction costs. Their address is:

National Archives and Records Administration
The National Archives and Records Administration
8601 Adelphi Road
College Park, MD 20740-6001
Phone: 1-866-272-6272
Fax: 301-837-0483

How can I obtain copies of transcripts of my AF formal training?

If you misplaced or lost copies of your training records, you do not need to submit a request under the FOIA. Simply contact the Community College of the Air Force.

tab Topics 
AETC FOIA Frequently Asked Questions
AETC Web Page
Air Force Photos
Awards & Decorations
Basic Military Training
Career Field Information
Commissioning Information
Historical Information
JBSA-Randolph Education Center
JBSA-Randolph Training Programs
Join the Air Force
Locating Military Personnel
Military & Training Records
San Antonio BRAC FAQs
Space Available Travel
Subscribing to Military Magazines

 Inside AETC

ima cornerSearch

Site Map      Contact Us     Questions     Security and Privacy notice     E-publishing  
Suicide Prevention    SAPR   IG   EEO   Accessibility/Section 508   No FEAR Act