Col. Dedra K. Witham is the Director of Public Affairs, Air Education and Training Command, Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph, Texas. As director, she is responsible for public affairs advice, counsel and support to the AETC commander and headquarters staff, as well as for more than 60,000 personnel at 12 major installations. Colonel Witham develops communication strategies designed to promote public understanding of the command's missions and activities, as well as those of the United States Air Force, and also provides oversight of the command’s media operations, command information and civic outreach capabilities.
Colonel Witham entered the Air Force in May 1991 as a graduate of the U.S. Air Force Academy. She has served in public affairs organizations at several Air Force levels including the wing, major command and Headquarters Air Force.
Prior to her current position, Colonel Witham was the Individual Mobilization Assistant (IMA) to the Director of the Air Force Public Affairs Agency where she led 350 military and civilians at two Combat Camera Squadrons and five operating locations. Colonel Witham has led public affairs directorates at Air Education and Training Command, Air Mobility Command, the United States Air Force Academy and the Air Force Reserve Command.
1991 Bachelor of Science, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1994 Master of Science, Human Resource Management/Development, Chapman University
1996 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
2000 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2008 Air War College, by correspondence
2016 Joint Senior Public Affairs Course, Defense Information School, Fort George G. Meade, Md.
1. August 1991 – August 1994, Chief, Customer Support, Military Personnel Flight, March Air Force Base, Calif.
2. August 1994 – July 1996, Chief, Personnel Utilization, Military Personnel Flight, Scott AFB, Ill.
3. August 1996 – July 1997, Chief, Military Personnel Flight, Eglin AFB, Fla.
4. August 1997 – July 2005, Public Affairs Officer, Community Outreach, National Outreach, Resources, and Press Desk, Office of Public Affairs, Secretary of the Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
5. August 2005 – April 2008, IMA to the Director of Public Affairs, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
6. May 2008 – October 2011, IMA to the Director of Public Affairs, Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Illinois
7. October 2011 – October 2014, IMA to the Director of Public Affairs, Headquarters Air Education and Training Command, Randolph AFB, Texas
8. October 2014 – July 2017, IMA to the Director, Air Force Public Affairs Agency, Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph, Texas
9. August 2017 – Present, Director of Public Affairs, Headquarters Air Education and Training Command, JBSA-Randolph, Texas
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 29, 1991
First Lieutenant May 29, 1993
Captain May 29, 1995
Major June 1, 2000
Lieutenant Colonel September 1, 2004
Colonel December 1, 2009
(Current as of August 2017)