Colonel Stephen L Andreasen is the Vice Commander, 58th Special Operations Wing, Kirtland Air Force Base, New Mexico. The wing trains mission-ready special operations, combat search and rescue, missile site support and UH-1N distinguished visitor aircrews for the world's best aerospace force. He oversees the activities of approximately 1,800 personnel, administering more than 100 training courses in 29 different crew positions, training 2,000 students annually.
Colonel Andreasen graduated from Brigham Young University in 1989 and was commissioned after graduating from Officer Training School. Upon completion of Specialized Undergraduate Navigator Training at Mather AFB, Calif., he was assigned to fly the MC-130E as an Electronic Warfare Officer at Rhein Main Air Base, Germany for the 7th Special Operations Squadron, Air Force Special Operations Command. He later qualified on the MC-130H and served an Air Education and Training Command tour as a formal flight instructor and evaluator. During his career he has been a squadron commander, deputy group commander, deployed group commander and has served on the Air Force Special Operations Command and U.S. Africa Command headquarters staffs.
He is a Command Navigator with more than 3,000 flying hours including combat experience in Operations Desert Storm, Provide Comfort, Allied Force, Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom.
1989 Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering, Brigham Young University, Utah
1995 Squadron Officer's School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1998 Master of Science degree in Information Sciences, University of Phoenix, Ariz.
2002 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2002 Master of Arts in Military Operational Art and Science, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Air War College, by correspondence
2010 Master of Science in National Security Strategy, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2010 Department of Defense Joint Inspector General Course, Washington, D.C.
1. May 1989 - March 1990, student, Specialized Undergraduate Navigator Training, Mather AFB, Calif.
2. July 1990 - March 1991, Data Masked
3. March 1991 - December 1992, Electronic Warfare Officer, 7th Special Operations Squadron, Rhein Main, Germany
4. December 1992 - May 1995, Electronic Warfare Officer, 7th Special Operations Squadron, RAF Alconbury, England
5. May 1995 - May 2000, Evaluator Electronic Warfare Officer and Wing Executive Officer, 550th Special Operations Squadron, Kirtland Air Force Base, New Mexico
6. May 2000 -- January 2001, Instructor Electronic Warfare Officer and Assistant Operations Officer, 19th Special Operations Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Florida
7. January 2001 -- June 2001, Chief of Air Force Special Operations Command's Mission Planning Branch, Hurlburt Field, Florida
8. June 2001 -- June 2002, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
9. June 2002 -- June 2005, Instructor Electronic Warfare Officer and Assistant Operations Officer, 15th Special Operations Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
10. June 2005 -- July 2006, Operations Officer, 58th Training Squadron, Kirtland AFB, N. M.
11. July 2007 - April 2009, Commander, 58th Training Squadron, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
12. April 2009 -- July 2010, student, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
13. July 2010 -- September 2012, Inspector General, U.S. Africa Command, Kelley Barracks, Stuttgart, Germany
14. September 2012 - present, Vice Commander, 58th Special Operations Wing, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
Rating: Command navigator
Flight hours: 3,133
Aircraft flown: C-130, MC-130E and MC-130H
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Combat Action Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant - May 4, 1989
First Lieutenant - May 4, 1991
Captain - May 4, 1993
Major - August 1, 2000
Lieutenant Colonel - April 1, 2005
Colonel -- July 1, 2010
(Current as of November 2012)