San Antonio BRAC Recommendations
Published October 17, 2007
Commission Recommendation #146 - Joint Basing - Realign the installation management functions for Fort Sam Houston, Randolph AFB, and Lackland AFB, TX.
-- The Air Force was directed to be the Executive Agent for this action in San Antonio
-- Air Education and Training Command (AETC) was designated by the Air Force to be the supporting command
-- AF and AETC plan to appoint a general officer to be the Joint Base Commander (JBC) with the JBC organizationally aligned under the AETC Commander
Commission Recommendation #169 -- Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Bethesda, Md.
- Realign Enlisted Histology courses and Army and Navy Combat Casualty Care Research to Fort Sam Houston
Commission Recommendation #170 -- Brooks City-Base (San Antonio realignments only)
- Relocate the Naval Health Research Center Electro-Magnetic Energy Detachment, and the Directed Energy portion of the Human Effectiveness Directorate of the Air Force Research Laboratory to Fort Sam Houston.
- Relocate the Army Medical Research Detachment to the Army Institute for Surgical Research Fort Sam Houston
-- Relocate the 68th Information Operations Squadron and the 710th Information Operations Flight to Lackland AFB
- Realign the Air Force Medical Support Agency, Air Force Medical Operations Agency, Air Force Element Medical Defense Agency, and Air Force Element Medical-DoD to Lackland AFB
- Relocate the Air Force Center for Environmental Excellence and Air Force-Wide Support Element to Lackland AFB
- Air Force Audit Agency and 341st Recruiting Squadron realigned to Randolph AFB
- Other Brooks City-Base BRAC actions outside the purview of SAIO
-- The Non-Medical Chemical Biological Defense Development and Acquisition realigned to Aberdeen Proving Ground, Md.
-- The USAF School of Aerospace Medicine, Air Force Institute of Operational Health, the Human Effectiveness Directorate and Human Systems Development and Acquisition function realigned to Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
Commission Recommendation #172 -- Establish San Antonio Military Medical Center and the Medical Education and Training Campus (METC) at Fort Sam Houston
- Realign inpatient functions of Wilford Hall Medical Center to Brooke Army Medical Center (BAMC) and establishes BAMC as the San Antonio Military Medical Center
- Convert Wilford Hall Medical Center to an Ambulatory Care Center
- Realign all enlisted basic and specialty medical training from Sheppard AFB, NAS Great Lakes, NMC San Diego and NMC Portsmouth to METC at Fort Sam Houston:
-- Four instructional facilities
-- Three dormitories
-- Two dining halls
-- Renovations to dental clinics
-- One project at Camp Bullis to accommodate Medical Field Training
-- Additions/alterations to Budge Dental Clinic and McWethy Troop Medical Clinic
Commission Recommendation #174 -- Establish Centers of Excellence for Chemical, Biological, and Medical Research and Development and Acquisition (San Antonio realignments only)
- Realign the Navy Combat Casualty Care Research, Army Dental Research Detachment, the Air Force Dental Investigative Service, and the Naval Institute for Dental and Biomedical Research to Fort Sam Houston
- Moves expected in FY09