Colonel Todd Vician is the Director of Public Affairs, Air Education and Training Command, Joint Base San Antonio- Randolph, Texas. As director, he is responsible for public affairs counsel and support to the commander and headquarters staff, as well as for more than 60,000 personnel at 25 wings, 11 bases and five geographically separated groups. The public affairs staff develops communication strategies to promote public understanding of the command's missions and activities, as well as those of the United States Air Force.
Colonel Vician has held several command and staff positions at the installation, major command, Air Staff and joint levels stateside and overseas. His command tours include two Services squadrons, a mission support group, and a field operating agency. His staff assignments include the office of the secretary of defense, headquarters Air Force, and the air component in Korea.
Prior to his current position, Colonel Vician commanded the Air Force Public Affairs Agency, the field operating agency for the Secretary of the Air Force, Public Affairs.
1989 Bachelor of Arts, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
1996 Master of Mass Communication, Arizona State University, Tempe
2005 Master of Military Operational Art, Air University, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala. 2019 Accreditation, Public Relations Society of America
- June 1990–July 1992, Deputy Chief of Public Affairs, 93rd Bomb Wing, Castle Air Force Base, Calif.
- July 1992–July 1994, Chief of Public Affairs, 775th Air Base Group, San Vito dei Normanni AB, Italy
- July 1994–June 1996, Graduate Student, Arizona State University, Tempe
- June 1996–July 1998, Chief of Public Affairs Human Resource Development, Headquarters Air Force, Pentagon, Washington D.C.
- July 1998–July 2000, Public Affairs Adviser to the Secretary of the Air Force, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
- July 2000–July 2002, Chief of Public Affairs, 55th Wing, Offutt AFB, Neb.
- July 2002–July 2004, Commander, 347th Services Squadron, Moody AFB, Ga. (July 2003–November 2003, Commander 376th Expeditionary Services Squadron, Manas AB, Kyrgyz Republic)
- July 2004–June 2005, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- June 2005–July 2009, Press Officer, Office of the Secretary of Defense, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
- July 2009–July 2010, Chief of Public Affairs Current Operations, Headquarters International Security Assistance Force Joint Command, Kabul, Afghanistan
- July 2010–July 2011, Chief of Current Operations, Secretary of the Air Force Public Affairs, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
- July 2011–June 2012, National Defense Fellow, Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service, Institute for the Study of Diplomacy, Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.
- July 2012–June 2013, Director of Public Affairs, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
- July 2013–July 2015, Commander, 72d Mission Support Group, Tinker AFB, Okla.
- September 2015–July 2017, Chief of Staff, Seventh Air Force, Osan AB, South Korea
- July 2017–June 2020, Commander, Air Force Public Affairs Agency, JB San Antonio- Randolph, Texas
- June 2020–present, Director of Public Affairs, Headquarters Air Education and Training Command, JB San Antonio-Randolph, Texas
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
EFFECTIVE DATE OF PROMOTION
Colonel October 1, 2011
(Current as of June 2020)