Colonel Polly S. Kenny is the Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters Air Education and Training Command, Joint Base San Antonio Randolph, Texas. She is the senior legal advisor to the AETC Commander on all legal issues involving military justice, civil litigation, environmental law, claims, international law, and administrative law.
Colonel Kenny received a Bachelor of Science degree in English with minors in Political Science and Criminal Justice from Troy State University in 1985. She earned her Juris Doctor from the University of Alabama School of Law in 1988. After admission to the Alabama bar, Colonel Kenny entered the Air Force through the direct appointment program in March 1989.
Colonel Kenny's first assignment was with the 7th Bomb Wing, Carswell Air Force Base, Texas. Since then, she has served in a variety of legal adviser and leadership positions at every level of command, to include four tours as a Staff Judge Advocate and a Circuit Defense Counsel for the Eastern Circuit Trial Judiciary, Bolling Air Force Base, D.C. She has also served at the Air Force Judge Advocate General School. In July 2009, Colonel Kenny assumed the position of Chief, Trial Defense Division, supervising more than 180 judge advocates, paralegals, and civilian attorneys. In that role, she was responsible for the provision of comprehensive legal defense services to all Air Force members worldwide. While assigned to Aviano Air Base, Italy, she deployed to Headquarters Kosovo Force, Pristina, Kosovo, as an assistant legal advisor. Prior to her current position, Colonel Kenny served as the Staff Judge Advocate to the Commander of 2d Air Force, Keesler AFB, Miss.
1985 Bachelor of Science degree in English, Troy State University, Troy, Ala.
1988 Juris Doctor, University of Alabama School of Law, Tuscaloosa
1995 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
1999 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2003 Air War College, by seminar
1. March 1989 - September 1991, Chief, Civil Law, Claims, and Environmental Law, Carswell AFB, Texas
2. September 1991 - May 1993, Chief, Adverse Actions and Military Justice, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
3. May 1993 - July 1994, Area Defense Counsel, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
4. July 1994 - March 1996, Circuit Defense Counsel, Eastern Circuit Trial Judiciary, Bolling AFB, D.C.
5. March 1996 - July 1997, Deputy Chief Circuit Defense Counsel, Eastern Circuit Trial Judiciary, Bolling AFB, D.C.
6. July 1997 - July 1999, Staff Judge Advocate, Dobbins Air Reserve Base, Ga.
7. July 1999 - June 2001, Chief, Military Justice, 16th Air Force, Aviano AB, Italy (June 2000 - July 2000, Assistant Legal Advisor, Headquarters Kosovo Force, Pristina, Kosovo)
8. June 2001 - May 2003, Instructor, Military Justice Division, Air Force Judge Advocate General School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
9. May 2003 - July 2004, Chief, Military Justice Division, Air Force Judge Advocate General School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
10. July 2004 - July 2006, Staff Judge Advocate, Peterson AFB, Colo.
11. July 2006 - July 2009, Staff Judge Advocate, Andrews AFB, Md.
12. July 2009 - June 2011, Chief, Trial Defense Division, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
13. June 2011 - May 2013, Staff Judge Advocate, 2nd Air Force, Keesler AFB, Miss.
14. May 2013 - present, Staff Judge Advocate, HQ AETC, JBSA-Randolph, Texas
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award with two oak leaf clusters
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Kosovo Campaign Medal
NATO Medal with Bronze Star
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
First Lieutenant March 14, 1989
Captain Sept. 14, 1989
Major Jan. 1, 1997
Lieutenant Colonel June 1, 2002
Colonel Dec. 1, 2006
(Current as of June 2013)