Dr. Wendy D. Walsh is the Chief Learning Officer, Air Education and Training Command, Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph, Texas. She is responsible for providing leadership, support and technical direction to enable an Air Force culture of learning. Dr. Walsh connects learning professionals to collectively build, share, and sustain an accessible, meaningful continuum of learning for Airmen.
Dr. Walsh graduated in 1999 with a bachelor’s degree in Political Science and master of public administration in 2003 from Sonoma State University. She earned her doctorate in Education Leadership from Frostburg State University in 2021. A career public servant, she has worked in both state and federal agencies for the last 30 years. Dr. Walsh has an impressive track record collaborating with governments, academia, industry and communities to develop research, grow education, apply innovation and expand possibilities to create culturally relevant, effective educational experiences responsive to organizational needs.
1996 Coaches Training Institute, San Rafael, Calif.
1999 Bachelor of Art, Political Science, Sonoma State University, Calif.
2003 Master of Science, Public Administration, Sonoma State University, Calif.
2005 Congressional Training for Homeland Security, Georgetown University, Washington D.C.
2011 Master Exercise Practitioner (MEP) program graduate, Department of Homeland Security, Emmitsburg, Md.
2014 Graduate Certificate, Systems Engineering & Information Science PhD coursework - Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, Calif.
2015 Design, Partnership, Management & Innovation Certificate, Monterey Institute of International Studies, Monterey, Calif.
2021 Doctorate, Education Leadership, Frostburg State University, Frostburg, Md.
- 1992-2004, Assistant to the Executive Director, Unit Supervisor, Placement Coordinator, Trainer, Phoenix Program Coach for the State of California, Department of Developmental Services, Sonoma Developmental Center, Sonoma, Calif.
- 2004-2006, Region 09 Citizen Corps Program Manager, DHS/FEMA, Oakland, Calif.
- 2006-2015, Homeland Defense & Security Coordinator (Research & Education), Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, Calif.
- 2015-2021, Acting Chief Learning Officer, Talent Transformation Director, Higher Education Program Manager- DHS/Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA,) Washington DC
- 2018-current, Adjunct Professor for Mount St. Mary’s Entrepreneurship Program taught Design Thinking (2018-2020), and Frostburg State University in Doctorate of Education Program (current)
- 2020-current, Chief Learning Officer, Air Education and Training Command, JBSA-Randolph, Texas
MAJOR AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
FEMA Mission Support Administrator’s Award for Business Excellence in 2021
FEMA Administrator’s Award 2019
Leadership in Cybersecurity Education Award, California Department of Technology – Information Security Office
Letter of appreciation from DHS/USCG Director Scott Genovese, Maritime Operational Threat Response 2019.
Letter of appreciation from California Emergency Management Agency, Secretary Matt Bettenhausen 2011
Letter of appreciation from Department of Defense, Deputy Asst. Secretary Teresa Whelan, 2009
Letter of appreciation for service to improve Citizen Preparedness, Arizona Governor Janet Napolitano, 2005
Letter of appreciation for efforts to improve Citizen Preparedness in California, California First Lady Maria Shriver, 2005